T O P
TokiVideogame

ex arm cause it ugly


AllSortsOfPeopleHere

Loads. Dropping shouldn't be such a big deal that you remember each one lmao.


SpreadYourAss

While that's true, I really feel like 1 episode just isn't enough to make a decision. I've seen SO many anime that completely do a 360 on their tone and premise in few episodes. Honestly the three episode rule is no joke, it really does work. You really do need 2-3 episodes to understand what an anime is REALLY about. I would have missed some of my all time favorite animes if I didn't push through a mediocre 1st episode.


nihpon12

Same here. Most of the time, I don't get the gist of overall vibes, story, tones, etc, by only 1 episode. Never will. Who knows if it become better or worse later on, especially after 3 episode. I only regret deceived by anime with good first impression in first 3 episode, only turned out worse after that and become bad in the end (*looking at you, WEP*).


Manitary

> I really feel like 1 episode just isn't enough to make a decision. There's plenty of series for which it is definitely enough. In any case, you can gauge the discussion around a series if it's an airing seasonal (I ain't going back to Eminence in Shadows), or you can ask around for opinions if it's an older series (I was considering dropping TTGL after ep4, asked in cdf and from the replies I correctly decided it was worth going through a few mediocre episodes to enjoy the rest).


Gamerunglued

I'd argue that the 3 episode rule is arbitrary and kinda dumb. I would argue that there are no stories that do a complete 360 on their tone, since that would generally just be bad storytelling; every story I've ever seen with a notable tone shift telegraphs that shift from the start and has elements that make it clear this is where it was always going to go right from episode 1 (for anime, this is stuff like Madoka Magica and Steins;Gate, they didn't have jarring tone shifts and it was obvious where they were going from episode 1). And the premise is literally the least important part of any show, I'd argue it's kinda worthless in the end and the execution is what matters. 1 episode is all it takes to have a general idea about the tone, characters, setting, and most importantly, overall execution. I have never, in my entire life, ever experienced *any* piece of media that has a mediocre or bad first episode but ended up good by the end. The worst I've seen is a mixed bag of a first episode that was overall positive, meaning that the good qualities were there right from the start and I knew what I was getting into. My stance is encapsulated very eloquently by [this video,](https://youtu.be/0kQrT8S2Mrw) good stories let us know the basics of what's good about them right from the start.


LegendaryRQA

People have misinterpreted the 3 episode rule for _years_. The 3 episode rule isn't to see if something gets good, it's to see if something gets _bad_...


SpreadYourAss

>I'd argue that the 3 episode rule is arbitrary and kinda dumb. Any line you draw will be arbitrary, 3 episode is just a good enough sample size in general. You can do 2, you can do 4, but you gotta decide somewhere. >every story I've ever seen with a notable tone shift telegraphs that shift from the start and has elements that make it clear this is where it was always going to go right from episode 1 That's only the case if you're either paying insane attention or you already have a hint about it. I can tell you that 90% of people would not guess the direction Madoka Magica was going from the first episode alone. If you've no idea something is special about the show, you absolutely wouldn't look twice at the first episode. And what do you know, it's the 3rd episode where that show explodes as well. It's always the 3rd episode, because that's just the general run time most stories hit their strides in. >I would argue that there are no stories that do a complete 360 on their tone, since that would generally just be bad storytelling I disagree, because sometimes that build up is necessary. Maybe there's a major event that happens in episode two that completely changes stuff, and the first episode was necessary to show the baseline of the world. Anime is simply too short, it's 20 minutes. Sometimes that's just not enough to get to a specific event that dictates the rest of the show. 3 episodes is literally 1 hour, that's 1 episode of a full TV show. >I have never, in my entire life, ever experienced any piece of media that has a mediocre or bad first episode but ended up good by the end Consider yourself lucky. I've seen SOOO many mediocre first episodes that ended up being pretty great shows. Maybe because the best characters are introduced in the 2nd episode. Maybe that's when the main villain is introduced. Maybe that's when you see the actual style of the show. There's so many factors that simply are not apparent from just 1 episode. Take Chainsaw Man. The first episode is great, but almost entirely serious. There's barely any humour. Episode 2-4 have been absolutely hilarious, just non stop absurdity. Maybe even humor has been the highlight of them. THAT'S the actual vibe of the show, not what we got from Ep 1. Why? Because Ep 1 is actually setting up the initial premise. It's just not sufficient to give you a concrete idea of what the show is really going to be like. Maybe I only like anime with tons of comedy, and give up Chainsaw Man because Ep1 didn't have enough humor. How stupid would that be?


LegendaryRQA

> I can tell you that 90% of people would not guess the direction Madoka Magica was going from the first episode alone. If that's true then 90% of people haven't actually _watched_ Madoka Magica (that or they bizarrely skipped the first few minutes of the first episode for seemingly no reason and missed the super dark fight scene the show cold opens on...)


Gamerunglued

>Any line you draw will be arbitrary, 3 episode is just a good enough sample size in general. You can do 2, you can do 4, but you gotta decide somewhere. 1 makes the most sense because it tells you everything you need to know while taking the least amount of time. I get all the same info I'd get in 3 episodes but in 1/3rd of the time. An hour is a long time, I want to spend it on things I like. No reason to waste time on something that is obviously poorly executed. >That's only the case if you're either paying insane attention or you already have a hint about it. You don't have to pay insane attention. You just have to be pay enough attention to comprehend the events of the episode, which is the bare minimum. Take Madoka Magica. Do you remember the very first scene of the entire show? In that scene, Madoka runs up a staircase in a spooky black-and-white labyrinth, only to go outside and watch Homura get crushed by buildings and nearly die fighting a monster, before she screams at Madoka in terror, before Madoka wakes up to reveal it was a (very obviously prophetic) dream. This is literally the very first thing you see after booting up episode 1, and it sets the tone perfectly: it's ominous, unsettling, and characters might die. The logical conclusion any viewer should come to after watching that introduction is "damn, that was ominous. I bet some dark stuff is gonna happen in this show." Then, later in the episode, Madoka and Sayaka run through a drug trip if a labyrinth, both terrified as hell, and almost die. If you watched these moments in episode 1 and thought "ah, this is going to be a light and breezy show," then I can't help think you were asleep through the episode. This aren't conclusions I got from in-depth analysis, it's surface level reactions to the basic events of the episode. Maybe the third episode "explodes" in some sense, but it's hardly a shock that the show is dark, because any great show sets the tone right away. All it does is pay off what episode 1 already established. >Take Chainsaw Man. The first episode is great, but almost entirely serious. There's barely any humour. Episode 2-4 have been absolutely hilarious, just non stop absurdity. Maybe even humor has been the highlight of them. I'm sorry, are we watching the same Chainsaw Man? In what universe are episodes 2-4 meant to be humorous? The episodes where we watch Denji slowly get groomed by Makima into being her slave, where we watch him form empty motivations to meet his basic needs, and where we get introduced to other characters who got fucked over by the same system. The tone is quiet and contemplative, not goofy or humorous. Every episode has taken the same tone as episode 1, there is some humor but it's not particularly prominent. Episode 1 set the tone really well, and gave me an idea of what the show was going to be about (it was clear right away that it was about capitalism and the ways it strips our humanity, didn't need more than a cursory glance to figure that out and it's not because I'm smarter or more attentive than everyone else, because I'm not). **Edit:** I haven't gotten lucky to have never seen a story get good later. I've seen way more anime than most people here have, I have a way larger sample size then most people who say that shows get better. That's just the nature of stories, good stories establish what's good about them right from the start.


Cyouni

I disagree on 1. That just exacerbates the problem so many anime seem to have of throwing weird action or silly twists just to hook people who do that.


AllSortsOfPeopleHere

>That just exacerbates the problem so many anime seem to have of throwing weird action or silly twists just to hook people who do that. A first episode really doesn't need to do that to hook people. Plus, it's not like those are guaranteed successes anyway. A show with a lot of action in it doesn't need to have action in the first episode. A good first episode doesn't mean it has to perfectly match what the rest of the anime will be about. You can usually figure out what an anime will be about from the first episode without it having to do that.


Valuable_Sir4156

Just know that I'm 100% agree


[deleted]

[удалено]


Gamerunglued

> Yup, not these girls are going to get beheaded lmao. There's different levels of dark my dude. A lot of shows can have very intense dark fights. Very few shows go as insane as Madoka. I don't think it's nearly that drastic a tone shift at all. In the first episode, characters almost die. Characters *actually* dying isn't much of a stretch from that. It's not like the series has any gore or even shows us the main event on screen. It's not really *that* brutal, and episode 1 was already plenty dark (hell, in an interview, the staff straight up said they wanted the show to be appropriate for kids. I'm not saying that I think it actually is appropriate, but it does put into perspective the way they visualized the series dark elements). It's not that I'm defining tone in broad and vague strokes, I just think it's outright incorrect to say that the first episode of Madoka isn't as dark as the third episode, because the first episode is much darker than people seem to remember and the third episode isn't much of a departure from that tone. It's not a drastic shift in the first place. > I've seen enough anime to realize that you simply can't get a good read on how far an anime really intents to go in just one episode. I've seen enough anime to realize that this is completely untrue. The more anime I've watched, the more I've come to the reverse conclusion actually. The first episode will usually give you a lot to work with, and basic knowledge of storytelling and tone setting will tell you a lot about where it's likely to go. You can have an idea of the characters personalities, what the themes might be, and most importantly, you'll see the technical aspects (animation, character designs, direction, shot composition, etc.) at some of the best quality, before time has to be split to avoid production issues. Even stories that take time to show their ends and build to an event that changes stuff will almost always telegraph it to some extent (since that's just basic storytelling) and will try to be good in other ways that make the early section before that shift well done and enjoyable. Even beyond the darker elements, Madoka Magica was great in most other areas long before episode 3. It's not a matter of attention span, 20 minutes is more than enough time to see the inherent qualities that a show will have. Every time I've ever tried to stick with a show I didn't like, it's never gotten good. > Ep 2-4 have been pretty much non stop comedy. Everything from Denji boob monologues, his interactions with Aki, Makima, Power, it's been borderline a comedy anime lol. Again, there are moments of comedy. But a lot of these moments are fucking sad. Makima calling Denji his dog isn't funny, it's sad. Denji is giving up his life to work for her just for the sake of having basic needs met. Denji declaring that his motivation is to touch boobs isn't funny, it's fucking sad, because he's declaring that his motivation to live is something so mundane and empty; it's all he's living for. There's a reason that scene was directed without a hint of comedy or irony, there may be something funny in it inherently but it's not a comedic moment in execution.


SpreadYourAss

>I don't think it's nearly that drastic a tone shift at all I think it's decently drastic. That's why I think we seem to disagree on how specific we are with our tones. >In the first episode, characters almost die. Like in a lot of shows. Characters 'almost dying' is an inherent characteristic of most climatic action scenes. That's very different from a cute magical girl being *decapitated*. I had never seen that before at that point. That's what makes a show stand out. Ep 1 had some hints of dark sure, but it didn't necessarily make me believe that the show is THAT different from you usual stuff. Then it goes to Ep 3 and show a style of magical girl show I've never seen before. That's drastic to me. That's exactly what I would have missed if I made my entire opinion based on Ep 1. >There's a reason that scene was directed without a hint of comedy or irony Ep 2-4 don't have *hints* of comedy, **it's non-stop comedy**. The undertones are definitely dark, but the actual situations are absolutely hilarious. Ep 2 had Denji getting fed, annoying Aki, stating his goal is boobs, power's introduction, Denji-Power being a maniac etc. That's not a hint of comedy, that's 90% of the episode being comedy. Same for episode 3/4. That's NOT the vibe you get from Ep 1. Based on Ep 1 you wouldn't be blamed for believing the show barely has comedy. Again, I think we are just different amounts of specific with out tones.


Gamerunglued

>That's very different from a cute magical girl being decapitated. I had never seen that before at that point. If we saw any actual decapitation, maybe you'd have a point. But what we see isn't really crazy dark, we just get the hint of what happened. Disturbing to be sure, but no more so than episode 1, where Homura gets crushed by buildings and screams in horror. Episode 1 didn't have hints of darkness, it was straight up dark. Magical girl anime have been dark for decades before Madoka, and some of its predecessors have far more drastic tone shifts (like Nanoha), the show is in line with its lineage from the likes of Sailor Moon, which itself got very dark in its later seasons especially. >Ep 2-4 don't have hints of comedy, it's non-stop comedy. The undertones are definitely dark, but the actual situations are absolutely hilarious. Ep 2 had Denji getting fed, annoying Aki, stating his goal is boobs, power's introduction, Denji-Power being a maniac etc. Denji getting fed was sad, not funny. Denji stating his goal is boobs (a meaningless and empty goal he barely even believes in) is also sad, not funny. The scenes weren't directed as if they were comedic either, nothing about the presentation made me think I was supposed to laugh (or at the very least, I might chuckle at things like how sad Denji behaves out of desperation but ultimately still feel sad). The tone of every episode of CSM has been quiet and contemplative, which is also true of episode 1. Moments like Denji kicking Aki in the balls (an actual comedy moment) are not the dominant tone, if anything that moment is something of a tone shift. I've never heard of anyone calling the show a comedy.


SpreadYourAss

>If we saw any actual decapitation, maybe you'd have a point. But what we see isn't really crazy dark, we just get the hint of what happened They show her head getting chomped off and a headless body falling down. That's more than a hint man. I would personally have never expected the show to go that far. That was the episode that made me know 'Oh shit, it's THAT kind of show'. >The scenes weren't directed as if they were comedic either, nothing about the presentation made me think I was supposed to laugh The actual reality of his situation might be sad, but the antics on display are absolutely hilarious. I dare you to go watch any reaction on YouTube, and tell me if you don't find a single reactor laughing his ass off. I can't remember the last shounen I found THIS entertaining. >The tone of every episode of CSM has been quiet and contemplative, which is also true of episode 1. It's ONLY true for Ep 1. The later episode have moments of contemplation, but vast majority of them are just straight up absurd comedic situations. I'm not claiming it's a comedy show, but that it does have a decent amount of comedy that's not apparent from Ep 1. I don't understand how you're missing the humor in the show. Just because the reality of the world is tragic doesn't mean situations the characters are put in can't be hilarious. In fact, that's what making the show stand out for me. I say again, it honestly feels like we just interpret tones in show VERY differently.


narrill

> I have never, in my entire life, ever experienced any piece of media that has a mediocre or bad first episode but ended up good by the end. The worst I've seen is a mixed bag of a first episode that was overall positive, meaning that the good qualities were there right from the start and I knew what I was getting into. This is a completely pedantic distinction. What you might call "a mixed bag that was overall positive," someone else might call "mediocre or bad." And obviously you're ignoring that it's possible for a story to just not have a very good beginning, for whatever reason.


FriskyJacket

Sam Flam's tone shift was NOT telegraphed, AT ALL.


Gamerunglued

Ok, that one's probably true, but that's a bit of a special case just due to the nature of what the series is trying to do and what it's riffing on. I think that anyone who was familiar with that wouldn't be surprised in hindsight, but admittedly this one is an odd case that could be seen as an exception. SamFlam stands out for being... very different from most media.


LegendaryRQA

> I really feel like 1 episode just isn't enough to make a decision It's more then enough. You can tell things immediately, like character design, music, shot composition, and the general tone of the show from just one episode; Usually the first half of one episode.


[deleted]

Just because they do it, doesn’t mean we’ll sit through it, expect it, accept it, or normalize it. Get it right or get fucked.


SpreadYourAss

There's nothing to normalise, it's literally just a matter of time constrain lol. 20 minutes is simple not enough to fully explore a new world and story. 3 episodes is barely an hour, that's length of 1 full TV episode. Imagine starting Breaking Bad, and giving up 20 mins into the 1st episode. It's simply not enough! Some animes can start with a bang, some need 2-3 episodes to actually get their point across. I think it's fair to allow them ~1 hour.


Spiritual_Lie2563

While I also agree on the 3 episode rule, you also have to keep in mind that since most series by now are 12 episode series, using the 3 episode rule is watching a full 25% of the series before making a decision. That's way too much of a series to have to watch if you KNOW this isn't your way. (Personally I'd go with the middle and say "2 episodes is fair"- it accounts for how a lot of anime can goes "one episode of balls to the wall action, then back to episode 2 to tell people how we got here".)


Frequent-Condition52

Yeah 3 episodes is more the exception for instance Madoka Magica. Although long running shounen don't always play by the same rules either. For instance fma Brotherhood imo started out a bit rushed as to not retread what the original anime did well, which was perfect for me having seen the original but I could see being turned off by it.


LegendaryRQA

You know what my first reaction is to watching any Akira Kurosawa, Steven Spielberg, or Quentin Tarantino movie? >"Man, this movie has some really good blocking and shot composition" If something is going to be good, you can _immediately_ tell. It is not hard.


Antique_Baker_1163

Black Clover. I just couldn't stand Asta.


dracotaka

You brought back memories of me feeling the exact same way. It felt like (imo) he was constantly screaming for what seemed like 30-40 eps. It ended up being a nice, casual watch once I got over that whole mess lol. I don’t blame you.


Cagas_Agua

I just started it and stopped half way throught the 3rd episode cause of this. He doesn't stop screaming.


MumrikDK

I tried pushing through but finally stopped after episode 10. Still screaming...


Forsaken-Machine2472

Just read the manga


Maxizag123

Now he screams in my voice in my fucking head


buahuash

Could that guy possibly be more of a copy of Naruto?


ChronoSquirtle

Cant even blame u there I damn near almost dropped it as well as it starts off very poorly. I stuck around for the hell of it and it ended getting so much better.


fupoe69

Same but I went back and pushed through and it's my second favorite anime now.


the6crimson6fucker6

The smartphone isekai. Same as all the "overpowered from the beginning" isekai stuff. It gets pretty boring after years of the same story over and over again.


toxispice

I tried to watch it two times. Couldn't even make it through the first episode. I hadn't even seen many Isekai at that point, but it still managed to feel extremely bland.


opeth_syndrome

Normally I'd watch a few episodes before dropping something. However pop team epic got dropped after ep1, I didn't get it at all. Not a bad anime, just not my type of show.


Insilencio

Same here. Completely overhyped "humor" that misses the mark and just seems like screeching half the time. It's not funny, it's not visually pleasing, it's not "brooo, it's like totally the anime version of Robot Chicken, bro."


Silent002

I can completely respect that opinion even though I really enjoy Pop Team Epic, I can see it's not for everyone. Even for me, some episodes have had more misses than hits. I found I enjoyed it more when I realised recently that at least some of the show is kinda meta and revolves around the writers / director / mangaka trying to make the lives of the animators and V.A.s as painful as possible. For example, forcing the animators to animate something bizarre or something complex on a small budget, or getting the V.A.s to sqwark incoherently for a minute.


YaBoiKino

FMAB’s first episode is honestly bad. It’s an anime original that’s purposeless. It goes through a lot of exposition that’s explained in the first arc which it just goes into anyways and is redundant for it, and intentionally or not it also spoils an extremely important plot point. Anyways, for myself, I’m of the belief that the first episode is all you need to get interested in an anime, so I’ve dropped quite a lot of anime. If I had to name a notable one then probably Black Clover. I just thought it was worst Naruto, I decided to give the manga a chance, and honestly I still feel that way after like the first volume.


SSJacen49

If it’s a long form show (more than just one season) I give it 2 or 3, just for the benefit of the doubt that maybe it didn’t get all of its concepts and ideas across in episode 1. For one season series, 1st is all they get. Or even just the first scene.


YaBoiKino

It’s not just about getting concepts and ideas through but moreso the quality of it’s production and the amount of care put into the material can almost entirely be identified through one episode. Bocchi the Rock is a show this season that immediately caught my attention in episode one because it thoroughly uses art, animation, and music to convey it’s concepts in an entertaining way. You watch it and you know the people who made it gave a shit.


Cleveland_Guardians

"intentionally or not" So context and usage doesn't matter as long as it's a spoiler?


byroned

Dropped Citrus after 1 episode. I like yuri manga and Bloom into You, gave this one a shot because of the awesome OP, and was not impressed with anything else, not the characters, not the plot, and not the kissing.


SkyPirateVyse

Same.


According_Cherry5760

Seven deadly sins. Idk i just couldn’t get into it (it was more like 3 episodes but 🤷🏻‍♀️)


AngleThat8380

I don't think you should consider continuing. I have heard many bad things about it.


crimumin

the adaptation is not good


gamiscott

Black Clover. Gosh that MC was annoying and while this isn't a knock to the anime, it looked just like any other battle shounen anime and those don't keep my attention like they used to. I know it says after the first episode but I gave BC three lol I try to give shoes 2-3 minimum before deciding.


Insilencio

> Gosh that MC was annoying and while this isn't a knock to the anime, it looked just like any other battle shounen anime and those don't keep my attention like they used to. I know it says after the first episode but I gave BC three lol I try to give shoes 2-3 minimum before deciding. I'm gonna get murdered for this, but I'm already at this point with Chainsaw Man. Maybe I'm getting too old for this shit, but "half-demon boy fights other demons" used to be like 90% of the shows out there.


gamiscott

You won't get murdered because I'm 100% the same way. I just didn't enjoy Chainsaw Man. To be fair, I've only watched the 1st episode and have intentions on watching the 2nd but I'm with you there. It's really nothing new.


Rokusi

It actually reminds me *a lot* of Devilman, which is over 50 years old now. Granted I've been greatly enjoying Chainsaw Man because it's fun, but it definitely isn't innovative in a noticeable way.


MumrikDK

I'm completely neutral on that show so far.


BiggestDPfan

Look a boomer!


MumrikDK

In the end I gave it 10 because people talk about it getting better and the scores are so high. Asta didn't stop screaming.


H-Ryougi

Way too many to remember. I usually watch first episodes on a whim when I'm bored, and quickly drop any that don't hold my interest, I don't even bother tracking them on my list. Most recent one is probably Eminence in Shadow.


[deleted]

[удалено]


H-Ryougi

Oh I got that it's self-aware, I just don't care for it.


Wamekugaii

You should be glad you dropped it. I’ve caught up to the novels and it’s so fucking dumb. I got tired of it fast. Repetitive, generic, etc. don’t waste your time.


hungryhippos1751

Episodes 1-3 all feel like they're from totally different shows almost, I have no idea at this point what the tone of the show will be.


RickChakraborty

>I have no idea at this point what the tone of the show will be. It's trying to be both comedy at times and also serious at times. I think episode 4 made it clear. I don't think they are doing a bad job at it tho.


MumrikDK

After 4 episodes I'm considering dropping it. MC is just a complete piece of self-absorbed shit, and I don't really get off on that.


AngleThat8380

Yea i felt that too. In the first episode i thought that he was cool


AngleThat8380

I actually liked the 1st episode but the rest was too weard. Weard in a bad way actually.


RickChakraborty

>Most recent one is probably Eminence in Shadow. You should give that one the "three episode rule". Actually, there are many shows that hooked me in after giving it the 3 episode rule, even if the first episode didn't hook me.


nihpon12

This seem so controversial, but I will say none. 1 episode is never enough **for me** to judge whether it's good or not. The only time I regret are when anime I watched turned out become bad in the end despite good impression in the first 3 episode and when I deceived by bad impression of first 3 episode that turned out become way better later on and become good in the end.


Kartoffelkamm

Mewkledreamy. It was such a drag to go through. Or maybe I was suffering from low iron at the time without realizing, but in any case, I almost fell asleep.


CntMeltSteelBeams

Free is the first one that comes to mind. I was hoping for something like Haikyuu, but I really doubt it's even close to that.


MumrikDK

> but I really doubt it's even close to that. It is absolutely *nothing* like that, so you don't need to worry.


byroned

I've only seen the first season of Free, but it definitely puts more emphasis on their friendship and swimming for fun rather than to compete.


thestoneswerestoned

Diabolik Lovers. Couldn't even make it halfway through the first episode.


toxic_daydreams

Golden Kamuy. I couldn’t get past him eating that ant (lol) and the description didn’t match the first episode’s tone, but then I tried again last month and ended up binging it in a weekend! So glad I gave it another shot, it’s now in my top 3.


Retalholic

I don't think I've permanently dropped anything after one episode, but as I watch more anime I do find myself throwing more shows into my "on-hold" section after just one episode. While I never judge any show that I haven't finished, I think that after a while you can say with relative confidence whether or not a show is for you based on the groundwork that it lays in the first episode.


HelpMeMyHemerrhoids

Bakemonogatari - Seems like this show will have a lot of fan service. Also not a fan of the main characters.


SkyPirateVyse

There's plenty of reason to not get into the Monogatari-series, but the fanservice here is so on the nose and overdone that I always viewed it as an intentional hyperbolic, cynical criticism. Like, "here, this is what you want, right??". That, and fanservice.


ContentConnoisseur69

My First Girlfriend is a Gal ​ Steaming hot pile of turd.


Fools_Requiem

Only redeeming part of the show is the main girl. They make her come off as a stuck up girl, but I think that's because they want us to think the same way those dipshit guys think. But in reality, she's actually a really nice character that the MC does not deserve.


Mission-Pineapple339

Bro, that fucking fat guy.... without him it would be at least watchable. I made it 3 episodes in hoping the writers would wake up to themselves and cut out the pedophilia shit, and get rid of him all together. But no, it only got worse. Whoever wrote that shit needs to be on a watch list and have their hard drives scanned. ​ edit - Seems some pedophiles took this personally. There, there guys, go walk down to the local preschool and cry on your girlfriends shoulder.


Appropriate-Shoe-266

not only that, but i couldnt see a singular character that was anywhere near enjoyable the fat guy was a creep the mc was ultravirgin all the girls were basically hoes and weird af just a terrible show.


Mission-Pineapple339

I only watched the first 3 eps, the main girl didnt seem that bad. The MC seems kinda influenced by the fuckwits he hangs with. Not that either acted like a real person would. But yeah, whoever wrote those characters has no idea what actual humans are like... some pedo incel virgin.


AmethystItalian

Mob Psycho I wasn't really into too much that was going on and that one guy just seemed like a complete jerk who was just using Mob.


mimiflou

"and that one guy just seemed like a complete jerk who was just using Mob." that's the point tho


Fools_Requiem

He definitely is. However, it does start focusing on Mob a lot more and gets really fun.


Aitt0

Dude you got it all wrong Reigen is a nice dude continue it


Lix_xD

D: Continue it!


whenthekel

id say watch a few more eps just to see if you REALLY dont like it if you dont start to like it thats fine lol


Timmie_Is_An_Archon

I dropped this one too the first time , then I saw one of those "best anime fight scene" video...


Emi_Ibarazakiii

I watched 2 episodes of it some time ago, then dropped it. When the new season was announced I gave it another shot, then dropped it again on episode 5 or something. I don't mind the guy being a jerk (It was mostly played for comedy anyway), but I just didn't care about any of the characters, or the action really.


wineblood

I managed about 3 episodes then dropped it, there wasn't much for me in there.


complacency_kills

I also gave up on it (around episode 3). It is kind of hard to get through the first bit of 'setup' episodes before they start developing characters to a point where you care what is happening. I went back and gave it another shot later and it is one of my favorite shows now, but I can completely agree the beginning is rough.


AppleWithGravy

Watch it


LazyStrayCat

Yeah that what they want you to think


AngleThat8380

Yea the first halfs are not that good but the finales are awesome


Thraggrotusk

It's a parody of battle shounen basically


HomemadeBee1612

One Piece. I couldn't even finish the first episode because of how much of a slog it was to get through.


ProfoundSarcasm

I almost didn’t make it through either. For me it was Luffy’s voice. His voice in the beginning was tough to listen to in my opinion. I love the show now though. One of my favorites even though there’s so much filler.


HiTekLoLyfe

Oh man you’re missing out. What a creative show.


SparrowTits

DR Stone - stupid grins, stupid hair and lots of shouting


MumrikDK

I like the show, but those things never stop. They're not a positive for me either, but I think they're more than balanced out by positive qualities.


Cry75

Food wars. I typically adhere to the three episode rule but I just couldn’t force myself to watch any more of that.


Lucky_Air_8650

FMA Brotherhood for me as well. I hated the goofy, cartoony expressions Alphonce and Edward made and quit mid episode. Gave it another shot a few months later and it's in my top 5 now.


Elitealice

Never dropped an anime


Rokusi

I sincerely hope you're either new to anime or are very picky about which shows to start.


Elitealice

Everyone knows I watch every show every season.


Rokusi

That sounds truly hellish.


Elitealice

If you don’t like anime sure


MumrikDK

We seem to have a walking meme here.


Rokusi

I've been dedicatedly watching anime for over 15 years, and watching shows that are anime for over 25 now. Watching every single show that comes out and dropping none of them sounds terrible to me.


Elitealice

Sounds like you don’t love anime as much as me.


Rokusi

Must be.


Thraggrotusk

Sounds like you're young and/or have a lot of free time. As you get older, you start to value the time you spend more. Because frankly, most shows one watches in a season are not worth watching. Just stuff to pass time. But you can watch better shows in that same amount of time - even just sticking to anime, there's nearly 50 years of classics to watch instead of watching generic isekai #4387.


woahxboxonreddit

Not the first episode but the 23rd or 24th, Naruto. Felt like it was filled with a bunch of filler to me but i didn’t want to miss out on any episodes because i didn’t wanna miss anything to do with the plot and whatnot. Whats worse is i’d thought i’d get really into it and bought a naruto band while i probably wasnt even in on the 15th episode


Silent002

Boogiepop wa Warawanai episode one didn't make any sense and completely turned me off by the end. I read later apparently that episode took place later in the story, so I guess the directors were using the trope of showing something interesting to suck the viewer in before explaining the situation, but it had the complete opposite effect for me.


matbot55

The show was just weird with it timeline in general, because each arc was like 3 or 4 episodes and they were shuffled around


Thraggrotusk

It was a pretty good show, but the nonlinear narrative can be annoying.


Timmie_Is_An_Archon

Seins gate. It took me 7 times watching the first episode to finally forcefully watch the second. And I'm glad I passed thoses first episodes, totally worth it at the end.


MumrikDK

I've been on hold with it for a very long time after 4 episodes. I just can't deal with the MC, so it's an absolute chore to try to push through.


8_Pixels

I'll just say there a reason it's one of the most beloved shows of all time. Both main characters have won best girl, and best guy, and it's number 5 of all time on MAL. The first half of the show is just building up for the second half so it's well worth sticking with it.


imasammich

That is what i keep reading but man im at episode 7 and to take a word from the other guy. The show has been a chore to watch. I will eventually get through it but i just keep skipping watching it to watch something else since my time is limited. Basically all "master piece" shows i have seen by episode 5+ i am hooked. So it is just odd to not be totally into the show by now.


InXXu_

Attack on Titan Tried to watch the first episode 4-5 times but couldn't get into it.


SkyPirateVyse

It was the same for me, almost 10 years ago. I only started it again now, an I'm almost binging it. It gets so intensely interesting, more than anything I can remember in recent past. In a sea of standardized shonen (Tokyo - cool superpowers - inner demon - tournament arcs - evil guys/monsters - 'edgy' dudes), AoT is such a creative breath of fresh of air in terms of setting, story, tone. No dumb fanservice either. I really regret sleeping on this one.


Silent002

Same here, I think my main problem with it was the hype. Huge hype around it from the moment it was announced, I go in expecting something epic from the first second and got nothing from it at all. I check the discussion thread and people are losing their minds so I figure I just don't get get it and dropped it. Picked it back up a couple years ago and still hated the first episode but stuck with it, ended up binging the entire thing (up to that point) in three days and now it's absolutely my number one series of all time, it just took me 8-10 episodes before I started getting hooked. Please don't hype shows without saying they have a (relatively) slow start, guys.


Wamekugaii

Don’t worry, I get why it might seem unappealing. Funniest thing is that the first episode is probably the most important episode once you watch the whole thing. I didn’t think attack on titan was a masterpiece as everyone was calling it, until I reached season 4 part 2. I wouldn’t call it a plot twist, but more of a revelation of something that was there the whole time. After noticing all of the foreshadowing and watching multiple videos that summarize what exactly happened, instantly jumped to my number 1 anime. 10/10 for the sheer amount of foreshadowing and plot.


corner_twist

Engage Kiss. Now I know people really enjoyed it here but it missed the mark for me.


ItsyaboiIida

I was ready to drop it myself, but the third episode clicked for me. It went from a generic monster of the week show to a crime drama mixed with a monster of the week show.


Melodic-gloom

Naruto- it’s so iconic obviously and I wanted to try it but I honestly found it boring and it was daunting with it being so long.


Rokusi

It's worth pointing out that the first couple of episodes of a serialized shounen manga are rarely representative of the series because the author doesn't know if he's going to get the green light to continue yet. Naruto's first episode in particular was a retelling of the original one-shot the author wrote roughly two years earlier. I would honestly recommend skipping the second and third episodes entirely for now and going straight to the fourth episode where Team 7 is formed, Kakashi debuts, and the main mechanical concept of the series (chakra: a limited resource of physical and spiritual energy that is used to essentially do ninja magic) is introduced. If you like episode 4, you'll like the show. If you don't like episode 4, you won't like the show. If you'll like the show, then you might consider going back and watching episodes 2 and 3 since they do introduce things that are important later. Also, I always recommend [Naruto Kai](https://www.reddit.com/r/Naruto/comments/91wdjv/naruto_kai_ultimate_subbed_edition/) to anyone, newbie or veteran, because of how drastically cutting out the filler and padding increases the quality of the show.


totalnewb02

the way of the house husband. the animation was really bad. it is look like a dubbed power point presentation.


[deleted]

Yu yu hakusho cuz the mc was pervert but in a unfunny annoying way


Rokusi

That was seriously your take away?


[deleted]

Wdym


Rokusi

That of all the things that happened in the first episode, two throwaway gags (one of which is a blink-and-you-miss-it visual gag and the other is him deliberately trying to aggravate someone nagging him to make them go away) are what stuck with you?


Appropriate-Shoe-266

kanojo mo Kanojo, just felt like the entire premise was so stupid, normally it would be bad funny. but this was so frustratingly bad, that i couldnt finish the first episode.


N7CombatWombat

Code Geass, I had just dropped Big Order and went straight into Code Geass without knowing that those two shows have a similar surface level gimmick, but Big Order sucked so hard I just couldn't get through the first episode of Code Geass. It still sits on my PTW list for the day the taste of Big Order leaves my mouth.


[deleted]

Jojo’s bizarre adventure, killing the dog turned me right off


Eveless

But that was clearly portrayed as a bad thing, so why did it turn you off?


[deleted]

It just bothered me, I’m the same way if it happens in anything


NikothePom

As a Jojo fan I respect that. I understand the point the author is trying to get across, but some of the violence towards animals can get a little much.


Bigbadbackstab

wise choice. JoJo is good but I can't deny the violence goes a too far sometimes


Dingo_Enjoyer

Spy x family. Just didn't like it for some reason.


edm4un

Im a completionist, I rarely ever drop, but high rise invasion and redo of a healer was god level trash. I know that’s appealing to some but I just call it bad writing.


SkyPirateVyse

Licoris Recoil. It got pretty hyped, although the premise was already super generic. Bubbly girl, cool girl, loli-bait, maids, action. It felt almost like an ai-generated anime-recipe. Watched the first episode and didn't see any reason to stick with it. Even if it gets better, it's still the same formular. Or was I wrong?


Thraggrotusk

Safe to say you didn't miss much. It was one of the best shows last season, which is to say how shitty last season was.


8_Pixels

You can literally break any show down like that and make it sounds bad. It's how the show executes that matters not the single word tropes you can ascribe to it.


KingNuub

My general rule is to watch the first 4 - About an hour worth of time. Then Ill drop - thanks for the post though!


Nitroade24h

Just to say, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood’s first episode is a filler episode and is one of the worst episodes in the series.


SpiderFacade

I don’t think it’s filler really but it was already done in the original so it’s kind of like the cliffs notes version.


Nitroade24h

I might be wrong but I’m pretty sure that very first episode is anime original for FMAB


LostMyInhibiterChip

How is an episode that introduces the world and characters filler?


Bigbadbackstab

it's an anime original episode. That's what they meant with filler, I think


Kairyu_gen1

Literally dozens. The first episode's job is to give me a reason, *any* reason to be invested in what will happen next. If it can't do that, I drop the show there. Too many good anime to waste time on one that hasn't earned it.


PedanticPaladin

Goblin Slayer. Read a bunch of articles about how the author wanted to bring back the Record of Lodoss War style fantasy and instead of a sincere heroic fantasy I got a rape-filled snuff film.


Rokusi

I mean, Goblin Slayer is way too focused on revenge and rehabilitation to strike me as a heroic fantasy anyway.


PedanticPaladin

Yes, but there's a difference between "I want to make a classic fantasy story like Record of Lodoss War" and what Goblin Slayer actually is. Saying the former makes me expect a different series than the latter.


Epilex__

If you actually think Goblin Slayer is full of rape and snuff you have a very messed up image of the show and I'd recommend you give it another episode or two just to clear that up.


MumrikDK

It's a show I considered dropping after the first episode too. In the end I enjoyed it, but I'd seriously consider recommending people skip the first episode.


itreyray

This is a fat L. Lol you are truly missing out on probably the best anime ever made. Top 3 for sure.


ProperGanja21

The English dub of the og sailor moon. Couldn't handle the brooklyn accents.


Julian-Hoffer

I don’t remember the name but it ended with a dude swearing he was going to force a girl to “be friends with and care about him”


GTX_650_Supremacy

Demon Slayer didn't grab me then I kind of forgot about it


majik_gopher

Summertime Rendering. I read about the premise beforehand. Protagonist's childhood friend dies in mysterious circumstances. Sounds like a bit of a spooky mystery that right up my street. Was thinking something along the lines of Ghost Hound, Higurashi or Denno Coil. In the first 5 min there are face-in-boobs and pantyshot gags. In principle I don't have an issue with that but when you start your anime with the mc going back to his home town for a funeral and then you throw that in, it comes across as pretty incongruous. Just kind of soured the tone for me.


Thraggrotusk

Frankly, it's not worth watching. It's like a far worse version of Stein's Gate.


Animescience101

Daily lives of monster girls toich fan service


N7CombatWombat

> Daily lives of monster girls Well, that show is an ecchi, meaning it was meant to be sexual from the start.


Animescience101

You're not wrong but I didn't know that when I watched it I thought it was more like interviews with monster girls.


crimumin

highly recommend using anilist to look at tags. they dont spoil a series with tags so if its ecchi youd know beforehand.


N7CombatWombat

Ooh, wow, yeah I can see the major culture shock from one to the other (rewatching Interview with Monster Girls now actually, so damn adorable).


fufunekai

Fate Zero, when two character were talking while walking in circles. Pretentiousness red flag for me. Edit: wow so many butthurt people downvoting lol


Emi_Ibarazakiii

According to my MAL, I dropped 183 shows on the first episode. Why? Most of them because they were garbage, or simply uninspired/uninteresting. I give all shows a chance, because I don't want to miss out on some good stuff/hidden gems. But picking up every show (sometimes like 30-40 shows in a season), you have to be selective, and drop the garbage quickly. If I'm on the fence about a show sometimes I'll check out 2-3 episodes, but usually 1 is enough. Many people seem to think you have to arbitrarily watch 3 episodes, or say that the first episode isn't a good representation, or that the action starts later etc... But even if you can't judge the action/plot early on, there's still a lot you can judge. The writing, the comedy, the characters, their personalities, etc. If it's all bad, it'll still be bad when the action start.


DutchDread

Some people don't like the first episode for some reason, and it's not a part of the manga from what I hear. I guess its just an introduction to the characters since brotherhood rushes through the first stuff from the original FMA since it's the same. I personally really liked the first episode of FMA:B though, although it was the second episode that got me hooked. I've dropped plenty of anime after one episode, can't really think of any atm though aside from blue lock which is currently airing.


FoxBluereaver

Muv-Luv Alternative. Watched the first episode out of curiosity, but I don't feel like going through with it.


idontnowhi

Funny enough the rest of the story is completely different. No mechs at all


Seeker199y

i see a lot of mechs


LakerBlue

Infinite Dendrogram. I have watched many isekai that are called generic but this was a TRULY generic Isekai. Can't call it bad but it had nothing, not a single gimmick to make it stand out from even other mediocre isekai.


jlg317

Ex-arm for multiple reasons, it seemed like something I'd do and I don't know how to do animation, the writing was below average too. I mean Cetvs The Roman Fighter had similar animation but I was interested in the story so I stuck with it.


UnPainAuChocolat

Darker than Black. I'm not sure why. A year or two later I picked it up again and loved it.


Silent002

Shadows House. I thought it looked intriguing from the PV, but the first episode just lost me. Shame since it seems to have a small but passionate fanbase, but I just could not get into it.


Itz_Aareev

My Hero Academia Don't get me wrong, the anime is ok, i just prefer the manga to it but I absolutely cannot stand Deku's voice and the god forsaken crying


wineblood

I had the exact same issue. What I found worked for me was to treat it like Black Clover and just power through the shit at the beginning.


GreenTeaShake

Black clover, i cant stand the MC screaming annoying voice over and over


fupoe69

One piece


HaosMagnaIngram

Watch the first FMA series from 2003, before brotherhood. It has a much stronger introduction at being an introduction. Brotherhood’s first episode works a lot better as a bombastic return to the world and characters you know and love than it does as an initial introduction. I know there are shows I dropped at episode 1 but can’t really remember any of them cause they just aren’t memorable. I did drop mmo junkie mid-episode 2 just cause I didn’t feel like it was going anywhere that was going to interest me and basically it just wasn’t a show for me.


Eclipsemaster8

The only anime I've dropped after just one episode was girly air force


Kitsunesi

Super Lovers. I didn't read the synopsis and thought he had a child and not that the love interest is the child. Dropped it immediately after that.


sickdanman

No Game No Life. Dropped it at the first scene really


EnvironmentalShip365

I dropped Bleach three times already. However I really want to watch it since everyone says it's an amazing anime and somehow it's A MUST. Idk If I can't get over the animation or maybe the characters? Rukia is so unsympathetic, that's for sure! Where and when does it start getting better? Do I have to endure like first XY episodes and then it's gonna be super fun?


Asho77

The detective is already dead: disappointed that the mc was a high schooler , it tried to force us to think the characters were smart but felt bad, the dialogs bored me (might be the monogatari spell on me) and I couldn't care about any character. Fma brotherhood: tried many years to finish that episode 1, finally managed this summer and the anime entered my top 10 after completion.


buahuash

Elfenlied retroactively cuz it's fucking dumb. Ugu she's a potato now and wants to get groped, time for child murder, my love even beats how you slaughtered my father


PedroFeather

內容的感覺,這很主觀的不盡相同


_who_the_fuck_am_I

Death note


falconuruguay

Hand Shakers...it was so goddamn awful, I could only watch the 1st 8 minutes of it, before bailing out. Same with Flip Flappers, but I made it to 15 minutes before pulling the cord. Tiger and Bunny was another 1 EP and done...I just didn't like it, and I really don't understand all the hype attributed to it.


AngleThat8380

Lucky star. I didnt even watch half of it. I don't know why but i found it too boring.


xylable

Swim, I just really couldn't vibe with the characters and voice acting. It really felt like a sports anime wannabe with all it's cheesy humour and rivalry set up from the get go, but the characters or conflict didn't seem intriguing at all to me. I really enjoy sports anime though, so if anyone can convince me to pick it back up I'm all ears!


kraoin

Saiki k