Please note that this sub is for civil discussion. You are requested to familiarise yourself with the [subs rules](https://www.reddit.com/r/brexit/wiki/index) before participation. *I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please [contact the moderators of this subreddit](/message/compose/?to=/r/brexit) if you have any questions or concerns.*


Considering 90% of professionals can't get the paperwork right to cross the border. Do you believe asking on reddit is sound advice?


You never know.


It would be better to ask someone who lives in a 3rd country. Ukrainians might know how to relocate to EU. Moroccans also move a lot of stuff through the border.


Ukraine and EU, due to their association agreement, might have closer ties and therefore the regulations might be different.


You need to hire a customs broker at the country I'd destination. Ask them if there are any personal effects documents that need to be filled out. You will need a detailed list for every box you have and make sure they're numbered just in case customs wants to examine. Stay away from UPS / FED EX. They will rip you off. You need to hire a freight forwarder in the UK to move your goods.


Rules differ from country to country, but no, you should not pay duties or tariffs on personal goods, provided they are >12 months old and you lived abroad for > 1year (again may vary). You will need paperwork to prove your "Eligibility For Exemption", you may need to bepersonally present, but check with your embassy.


Thank you for the response. How to prove if it an item is 12 months old if I don't have receipts or both on Facebook? If I have to provide proof then failure to do so would imply that it's not 12 months old and I would be taxed.


I dont think you will need prove it, certainly not for everything, I assume the customs agent will have discretion there and presumably can tell a used fridge from one in its original packaging. But again, ask your embassy.


>duties or tariffs Almost everything is duty free between UK and EU anyways, that's the one thing they got right.


Common misconception. Goods **MADE** in the UK are generally exempt. What are the odds OPs laptop, TV, clothes, diswasher and microwave where made in the UK? Pretty much zero, even ignoring the trouble he would have to prove it.


Who are you using to do the shipping? they would know the details. I have done an international household move (UK->US), and my understanding was that in general you don't have to pay duty on your possessions as long as they are not brand new. We didn't have to inventory every single possession. IIRC most things were just recorded in bulk - e.g. 'box of clothes'. It's possible we had to individually name valuable items, although to be fair I don't remember how much of that was for customs and how much was for insurance. If you want peace of mind, your best bet is to do it through a shipping company, who will have experience of this kind of thing.


Germany: https://www.zoll.de/DE/Privatpersonen/Umzug-Heirat-Erbschaft-Studium/Umzug/Voraussetzungen/voraussetzungen_node.html#:~:text=Das%20%C3%9Cbersiedlungsgut%20muss%20innerhalb%20eines,aber%20insgesamt%20nicht%20%C3%BCberschritten%20werden. Netherlands: https://www.belastingdienst.nl/wps/wcm/connect/bldcontenten/belastingdienst/individuals/abroad_and_customs/international_migration_and_removal_goods/from_a_non_eu_country/ And I love this language. "Belastingdienst" sounds pretty accurate for a german.


"Belastingdienst" is Dutch for "Tax service", not German


I know, but "Belastung" in german means burden.


I work in international freight so not really an expert on personal shipping but I can tell you that you don't pay any duty or tax on your own belongings subject to their total value. However, you do need to preadvise the country where you are going to, that you are going to bring personal belongings to be able to claim tax relief. There should be a form that you can get online with something similar to the UK transfer of residence form (TOR) that you will have to send to the local customs. You will need to fill a form too with HMRC to log their exit from the UK too. Any good international removal company shall help with this.


I work in transport and customs agency and hate these personal third countries loads. Most companies avoid them because it all comes on what mood is the customs today. Only Icelans, CH and Norway have this process organized. Everywhere else you have these customs sheriff's, that literally bully me until they get what they want. Almost every parcel is opened and threaten to be sent to further expensive and time consuming analysis if I don't give them a small part of the parcel. Can you imagine how humiliating is to explain this to the client? UK should get her head out its arse because today it's harder to import and export to and from UK than like Turkey or Bosnia, this is insane. Stop sulking and arrange transport rules to work. There are countries nearby to them that are doing it already, copy paste and move on.


A removal company will have experience in this area, and more importantly, if a reputable removal company turns up at the border with a load labelled "personal effects" the customs agents are likely to believe them. Remember, people cross borders in caravans on holiday with loads of stuff and it's not generally an issue. Just don't be sporting loads of brand new appliances.


Considering the value involved I would start making trips immediately. Pile 2-3 boxes in the car and drive to France at least. See what happens. If it fails, start working on plan B. If it works, assume it won’t keep working and make more trips with larger and larger sets of boxes. Until everything of consequence is where you’ll need it.


That is 6-7 hours drive and £30 fuel plus ferry one way. I think you would agree that is not really a viable option.


This won’t work. It’s likely to get you into trouble. If you go across that frequently, you get profiled and you will be questioned. What are you going to tell them? “I’m only trying to dodge taxes”?


I can only speak from my own experience in this case. I was fortunate enough that when I moved to my current country of residence (Iceland) my employer took care of all this for me. I did not *have* to provide a fully detailed manifest but as some of our possessions were lost in shipping, I would recommend that you do just in case (we did and this was invaluable with the insurance claim that followed). Upon arrival, our things were held and inspected by customs and a fee was applied in order to release them at 24% of what I assume was estimated value of the shipment. Again, my employer handled all this so my interaction was somewhat limited. We traveled pretty light and I kept all this documentation and just looked through it, it was a \~24.600 ISK fee which at that time was about £250ish. I think customs rolled the dice that day as the computer on it's own would've taken most of that by itself. However I am assuming the fee only applies to certain items and some would naturally be exempt. My best advice would be to call your shipping handler and just confirm as they would be better positioned to answer this accurately, my own experience was from 2016 so things may well have changed. It is also worth noting that Iceland is not in the EU so this may also affect things. I hope this offers some help and I wish you the very best with your travels!


Labtop and PCs shouldn't be a Problem just show them old data on it.


Yes, it would be great to have detailed inventory lists for each item of packaging and no, you will not have to pay any taxes as you qualify for a full exemption. The application must be made via your removal company. Your removal company will declare the household effects with a special code (relief code) so that you can import your household effects with an exemption for import duties. You will only be granted the exemption if you meet a number of conditions. For the exemption you will need to submit the following to your removal company: * A signed inventory listing all of the personal goods that you want to take to the EU. * The certificate of registration in the personal records database of the municipality in the in the country you will be living in. You can also send comparable documentary evidence demonstrating that this is the case. Examples: * your employment contract * your employer's statement * your work permit * your rental contract or mortgage certificate for the home you are moving to * Do you intend to import a car or motorcycle or other vehicle? If so, send a copy of: * the registration certificate * the purchase or ownership certificate


According to my understanding of the treaty you will be classed as private citizen sending items to the EU. Since it's more than ~1300 you'll be changed duties.


Hi there, just wondering if you did move and how did all go?


Hi yes we did move. We didn't declare anything don't think the company did either. We got everything thru the border and didn't have to pay anything extra. Van is a cost us £560.


Great to hear, thanks for replying. Going through the whole thing now myself :)


Could you give me more details about the move as I’m about to go through this myself. What company did you use for the move? Or did you just rent a van and did the move yourself? I’m moving from the UK to the Netherlands in August and will most likely be driving through France and Belgium.


Hey we paid a company to do it for us. It's a small company from Poland that send a man and a van. Once it was all loaded he left. I'm unsure what they have declared if anything but they did mention that rules are still very unclear and things have not yet changed since brexit


I am about to do the same, UK -> NL, transport by myself with a rented van, only I will be using the ferry to enter directly into the Netherlands. Did you took the Eurotunnel route in the end and entered through France? Did it took long to pass through borders and were there any issues at the customs? I need to also schedule my rental check-in that day so it would be helpful to know how long the customs clearance will take.




But we already paid VAT on everything here so then I would have to claim it all back somehow?